Have questions about migration or visas? Find answers…


Do I need a visa for Australia?

Yes, unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, anyone wishing to enter Australia to visit, study or work will need a valid visa before they travel to Australia.

Can I work in Australia?

Yes, but only with the permission of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).
Your visa to Australia will explain whether you are allowed to work in Australia or not, and if there are any limitations to the amount of hours you can work.
There are a number of different working visas that you may be able to apply for and this will depend on your circumstances. To find out if you are eligible for a working visa, contact us for more information.

I am in Australia on a student visa. I would like to work here. Can you help?

If you would like to work while studying in Australia, check your visa conditions to see whether you have permission to work.
If you don’t, we can help you apply for permission.
If you have finished your studies in Australia and now want to work in your field of study, you may be eligible to work temporarily or become a permanent resident of Australia.
We have assisted a number of students who completed their studies in Australia become permanent residents. Contact us to find out how.

I am in Australia on a temporary work (skilled 457) visa and I lost my job. Is there anything I can do to stay?

Yes, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection gives you 90 days to find employment in the same occupation you were nominated in. You can start work for your new employer after they submit a nomination for you.


I need to get visas for skilled workers. How fast can this happen?

Generally, an employer can nominate a prospective skilled worker under the temporary work visa or permanent residency visa. The timeframe for obtaining the visa varies. To nominate an employee for temporary skilled (457) visa, an employer must:

1. Obtain a standard business sponsor approval or labour agreement from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

2. Nominate an occupation and position within the business/company for the prospective skilled worker.

3. Advise the prospective employee, who can then apply for the visa.

The timeframe for each stage can vary. Make sure you lodge a complete application with all the relevant documents. This will minimise potential delays from case officers requesting further information.

Employers wishing to nominate an employee for a permanent visa can do so under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). To nominate an employee for a permanent work visa, there are 3 available streams:

1. Transition Stream: For employees who are currently on a 457 visa and have been employed by the employer for 2 years or more.

2. Direct Stream: For employers wishing to nominate applicants to fill a position that is full time and ongoing for at least 2 years.

3. Labour Agreement: An employer can nominate an applicant through a labour agreement.

The timeframe for any of these streams will vary, depending on visa priorities set by the Government and processing times of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

It is best to start early and gather all the required documents prior to lodgement to avoid any processing delays.

Access Australia can help with all forms of visas for skilled workers. Need help? Simply Contact us.

How do I sponsor a family member?

If you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be able to sponsor a family member to live in Australia.

There are a number of visa categories for family members including:

  • Partner visa
  • Child and adoption visas
  • Parent visas
  • Family members
  • Relative visa
  • Carer visa

The requirements from a sponsor will be different depending on the visa category. But generally a sponsor must be:

  • 18 years of age or above
  • related to the applicant
  • lawfully a resident in Australia for a period of time; and
  • able to support the family member applying for the visa to Australia.


What is a Registered Migration Agent?

Registered Migration Agents are qualified professionals who are licensed to provide advice on visa requirements and the lodgement of visa applications.

Migration Agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agent’s Registration Authority (MARA), which allows them to provide migration assistance and represent applicants to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

In Australia, it is illegal to provide migration advice or assistance unless you are registered with MARA.

The benefits of using a registered migration agent include:

  • strong knowledge and skills in immigration law and policies;
  • avoiding pitfalls and errors that may delay visa processing;
  • your consumer rights are protected;
  • you will only receive services in your best interest (as required by the MARA Code of Conduct); and
  • greaterpeace of mind throughout the application process.

Access Australia consultants are registered migration agents with legal qualificationsand government experience. We combine all of these elements to create the best strategies and outcomes for our clients.

I have completed a visa application. Can you review it?

We can review any visa application prior to lodgement.

It is a great idea to do this,as we might be able to add things that could increase your chances of a positive outcome.

How much do you charge?

Our fees vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the complexity of your application.

For example, the fee for student visa applications is substantially less than for general skilled migration visas. This is because skilled migration visas have numerous processes involved prior to lodgement.

For a quote, please Contact us. We are competitively priced.

Do you charge more because you are legal practitioners?

We only charge fees that are fair and reasonable. We will tell you the fees in advance before you hire us.

How long does a visa application take?

The time it takes to prepare and process a visa application depends on the ‘readiness’ and ‘completeness’ of the application.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has a standard timeframe for processing different visa applications, and this is an indication of how long you will wait for a decision.

Generally speaking, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection is more likely to progress and assess your visa application faster if it is complete (i.e.: includes all required information and documents at the time of lodgement).

Access Australia’s services assist in preparing your application in the best possible way, so that it is complete and ready for lodgement (which minimises delays).

Another migration agent is working on/has submitted my application. Can I change agents now?

Yes, you can change your migration agent by completing Form 956 and appointing a new agent.

Where is my application up to?

Different visa types have different processing times. Processing times are based on processing priorities and the order that visa applications are lodged.

When you lodge your visa application, ensure you receive an acknowledgment letter from the DIBP. You can then check the DIBP’s processing times to see how long you will expect to wait, or contact DIBP to check on the progress of your application.

My application has been rejected

If your visa application has been rejected, the decision letter should provide options for a review. In some cases you may be eligible to take the decision to review to the Migration Review Tribunal.

Please note that a decision review is very costly and lengthy.

If you have been refused, Contact us to discuss a strategy for your specific situation.

My application is being reviewed by a court

If you are in Australia and you appealed the decision of the DIBP to be reviewed by the court, it is important that you understand the possible implications of the decision (including cancellation of visa, deportation or a potential ban from entering Australia).

It is best to engage a professional in the industry to handle your matter.

Want to discuss your visa needs ?

Share This